Join us on Wednesday, January 17, to celebrate diversity and inclusion in healthcare as we honor the nominees and recipients of the 2018 Spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. Awards.
The Spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Awards are given annually to Mission Health and MAHEC team members who have been nominated by their peers or leaders for their ability to overcome barriers that separate human beings and who see diversity as an opportunity rather than an obstacle to impact change. A partnership between Mission Health and MAHEC, the award celebrates diversity in healthcare and the people who carry on the spirit, leadership and vision of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and influence unity, equality, equity and justice in both the workplace and their communities.
Doors open at 11:30 am for conversation and refreshments. The ceremony will start at noon and end at 1:30 pm:
- The ceremony will be held at the Mission Health A-B Tech Conference Center (Victoria Rd., A-B Tech Asheville Campus) with a musical performance by the Mission-MAHEC choir, a presentation of awards, remarks by Mission Health and MAHEC leaders, and a special presentation by keynote speaker Dr. Danny Avula.
- Parking will be available for visitors. Please note: Yellow-lined spaces are reserved for A-B Tech staff; you are susceptible to a parking ticket. The spaces with white lines are reserved for student and visitor parking, and are suitable for Mission Health-related meetings, including this event.
- Light bites and refreshments will be served – no RSVP required.
About the Keynote Speaker: Dr. Danny Avula
Danny Avula is a pediatrician and the director of the Richmond County Health District. In 2017, he led Richmond, Virginia, in receiving the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Culture of Health Prize for Healthier Housing. Learn more about Dr. Avula and his work in improving public housing in this feature on rwjf.org
At Mission Health, we welcome, even encourage, you to engage in open dialogue on our social media platforms. We look forward to engaging with your comments about your experiences.
Facebook LIVE is a real-time broadcast from Mission Health. By participating in this simulcast, you are acknowledging your understanding of the following:
- Content shared should not be considered personal medical advice and does not replace consultation with your healthcare provider.
- As this is a public platform, the information you share can be viewed by other users.
- Do not assume your online postings will remain private.
- Exercise extreme caution when sharing medical information about yourself or others. Please refrain from disclosing personal identifiable information, including your location, diagnosis, financial information and/or any other private information.
- By participating in Mission Health-sponsored social media, you are granting Mission Health the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media.
During Facebook LIVE, we encourage you to engage, participate and ask general questions; however, please refrain from disclosing personal information regarding your family’s health and wellness. Furthermore, we strongly encourage you to review the Social Media Disclaimer prior to participating in any Mission Health-sponsored social media.