Learn how to prepare an easy, quick heart healthy meal with Mission Heart and Asheville Cardiology Associates Registered Dietitians Megan Greathouse and Jane Stokla Ryan.
They will demonstrate how to prepare Hearty Vegetarian Chili and how to select the heart healthy ingredients while keeping all the flavor.
Crockpot Vegetarian Chili recipe
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 28 ounces can fired-roasted diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- One 15.5 ounce black beans (low sodium)
- One 15.5 ounce kidney beans (low sodium)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled & cut into 2 inch pieces)
- Pepper to taste
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, frozen corn, garlic, cumin, chili powder, cocoa, cinnamon and pepper. Add the tomatoes (and liquid), cumin, beans (drained), sweet potatoes and one cup of water.
- Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender and chili has thickened on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours
- Serve the chili with avocado
At Mission Health, we welcome, even encourage, you to engage in open dialogue on our social media platforms. We look forward to engaging with your comments about your experiences.
PRIMETime [Facebook] LIVE is a real-time broadcast from Mission Health. By participating in this simulcast, you are acknowledging your understanding of the following:
- Content shared should not be considered personal medical advice and does not replace consultation with your healthcare provider.
- As this is a public platform, the information you share can be viewed by other users.
- Do not assume your online postings will remain private.
- Exercise extreme caution when sharing medical information about yourself or others. Please refrain from disclosing personal identifiable information, including your location, diagnosis, financial information and/or any other private information.
- By participating in Mission Health-sponsored social media, you are granting Mission Health the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media.
During PRIMETime LIVE, we encourage you to engage, participate and ask general questions; however, please refrain from disclosing personal information regarding your family’s health and wellness. Furthermore, we strongly encourage you to review the Social Media Disclaimer prior to participating in any Mission Health-sponsored social media.