When IBM Watson Health announced its list of the nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals last fall, Mission Hospital found itself among the nation’s best centers for heart care for the thirteenth time. Who said 13 isn’t a lucky number? Mission Health is proud to celebrate Heart Month this February knowing that our patients and families here in western North Carolina have access to some of the highest quality heart care in the nation. That is why we #KeepTheBeat!
What makes a heart program “the best?”
The people. Our team members are the heart of Mission Health. What they make possible is tremendous – with the numbers to show for it.
Breaking down the numbers
Mission Hospital was identified from more than 1,000 hospitals in the United States. Our numbers show:
- Better chance of survival. Our patients have a survival rate for inpatient care of 21-41 percent higher than nonwinning hospitals, and a higher 30-day survival rate.
- Shorter hospital stay. Our patients can expect an average length of stay was one day less than nonwinning hospitals.
- Lower readmission patients. Fewer patients are likely to return to the hospital after they’ve been discharged.
- Lower costs. The total cost per patient case is $1,333-5,745 less than nonwinning hospitals.
If all hospitals performed at the level of of this year’s winners:
- More than 8,900 additional lives could be saved
- Nearly 3,700 more heart patients could be complication-free
- More than $1.4 billion could be saved
So what does it mean to be one the nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals? It means you can expect the highest standards of care for you and your heart. Take care of your heart and keep the beat this Heart Month.
Mission Heart has been a regional leader in cardiothoracic surgery and heart care for more than 40 years. Our award-winning team maintains years of specialized clinical experience, and our physician teams with Asheville Cardiology Associates and Asheville Heart deliver a team-oriented, comprehensive approach to patient heart issues with a high level of technical expertise and experience. IBM Watson Health has recognized Mission Heart as a 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospital for the thirteenth time.