Getting tired of the same old story for your summertime meal planning? Try this healthy twist on a classic cook-out staple. Whether firing up the grill or turning on the oven, this tasty burger is sure to please.
Turkey Club Burger
For turkey burger:
- 12 oz 99 percent fat-free ground turkey
- ½ cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 oz spinach or arugula, rinsed and dried
- 4 oz portabella mushroom, rinsed, grilled or broiled, and sliced
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature (with the rack 3 inches from heat source) or grill on medium-high heat.
- To prepare burger, combine ground turkey, scallions, pepper and egg, and mix well. Form into ½- to ¾-inch thick patties, and coat each lightly with olive oil.
- Broil or grill burgers for about 7-9 minutes on each side (to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees F).
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard to make a spread.
- Assemble ¾ Tbsp spread, 1 ounce spinach or arugula, several slices of grilled portabella mushroom (optional), and one burger on each bun.
Nutritional information – per burger
- 299 calories
- 11 g total fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 89 mg cholesterol
- 393 mg sodium
- 29 g protein
- 26 g carbohydrates
- 5 g fiber
Recipes courtesy National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.