This tasty, heart-healthy, all vegetarian recipe was demonstrated LIVE on Facebook with Rhubarb owner and chef John Fleer and Mission Heart cardiologist Brian Asbill, MD.
Make this meal at home for a healthy meal that doesn’t compromise on flavor.
Seared IPA Brined Cauliflower with Flageolet Ragout and Sweet and Sour Collard Greens
- 1 large head cauliflower
- Cut into 4 ¾-inch “steaks”
- Core scored with a sharp knife
- 24 oz IPA
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 star anise for each cauliflower “steak”
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2½ quarts ice
- Bring first set of ingredients to a boil.
- Add ice to cool.
- Brine scored cauliflower for 4 hours.
Flageolet Bean and Sundried Tomato Ragout
- ½ lb dried white beans (flageolet, white navy, cannellini)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup diced country ham (optional)
- ¾ cups diced onions, large dice
- ½ cup diced carrots, large dice
- ½ cup diced celery, large dice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup julienned sun dried tomatoes
- Sauté country ham in 1 Tbsp of oil over high heat until golden brown.
- Add onions and cook until soft, following with carrots and celery and cooking until tender.
- Add stock, dried beans and seasonings.
- Simmer until beans are cooked thoroughly.
- Add julienned sun dried tomatoes in the last 10 minutes of cooking.