By Charles Sawyer, MD
Online banking. Online shopping. Online classes. But when was the last time you took time to manage your health online? Did you know that is even an option?
The short answer is “yes” and even in the form of a mobile app.
Care teams like yours at Mission Health are dedicated to connecting with patients and team members, working together to improve your family’s health and wellness. But quality care begins with empowering you with the ability to manage your family’s healthcare information, even on the go.
Sounds great. But what exactly does a health management mobile app mean for you?
Here’s five ways to improve your health online through our patient portal and mobile app:
- Request, reschedule or cancel appointments – Now you can stop putting off your annual physical. Take two minutes while in line at the grocery store and request an appointment with your primary care provider.
- View your personal health record – Do you know the last time you had a tetanus shot? You’re thinking about it aren’t you? And if you’re like most busy families, you likely don’t remember. In a patient portal, you can find access to your personal (and your children’s) health records, including immunizations, prescriptions and diagnoses.
- Manage your medications – Just like online shopping, you can skip the call to your provider’s office. Login and make refill or other requests directly from your patient portal or mobile app – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- See diagnostic results – Through the patient portal you can review your laboratory and diagnostic results, like X-rays. Additional reference information about many tests is also conveniently available should you want to look for more information.
- Securely communicate with your provider – Ever wish you could email your provider? Here’s an opportunity to communicate securely and conveniently online. This helps patients and providers to connect online in pursuit of personal health goals.
Sounds too good to be true. Is there a catch?
What catch? Mission Health’s patient portal is free to any Mission Health patient and accessible anywhere with an internet connection, 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. And now, Mission’s patient portal even comes in a free mobile app available in the Google Play and App Store.
Charles Sawyer, MD, is a board-certified internal medicine physician who serves as Mission Health’s Chief Medical Information Officer.