Anna Lopez-Stratton, MD, of Mission Community Primary Care Haywood, a Service of Transylvania Regional Hospital, answers this common question about motion sickness while traveling.
Q: Is there anything I can do to prevent car and airplane sickness?
A: There are five simple ways you can prevent motion sickness:
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol or big meals before a trip.
- Close your eyes, look at the horizon, don’t read.
- Choose a seat situated over the wings of the plane or sit in the front seat of a car.
- Over-the-counter treatments include the antihistamines cyclizine and Dramamine® .
- Prescription scopolamine patches.
Anna Lopez-Stratton, MD, sees patients at Mission Community Primary Care Haywood, a Service of Transylvania Regional Hospital. To schedule an appointment, call 828-456-9006.