It may feel like autumn is winding down, but there are several weeks of comfy, cool weather to enjoy before winter sets in. This tasty, fall-inspired dish will pair wonderfully with the crisp, autumn air.
Lima Beans and Spinach
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fennel bulb, rinsed and cut into 4-inch strips
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bag (10 oz) leaf spinach, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp distilled vinegar
- ¹/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried chives
- In a saucepan, steam or boil lima beans in unsalted water for about 10 minutes. Drain
- In sauté pan, sauté onion and fennel in oil.
- Add beans and chicken broth to sauté pan, and cover. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach. Cover and cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and pepper. Cover and let stand for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Nutritional information per serving:
- 93 calories
- 2 g total fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 84 mg sodium
- 6 g total fiber
- 5 g protein
- 15 g carbohydrates
- 452 mg potassium
Recipes courtesy National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.