Warm weather means fun and hanging out with friends. Check out this simple — and healthy — dish that’s great for any summer gathering.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1½ tsp allspice, ground
- 1½ tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 Tbsp hot pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp hot pepper, crushed, dried
- 2 tsp oregano, crushed
- 2 tsp thyme, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, pureed or finely chopped
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar (can substitute Splenda brown sugar blend instead)
- 8 pieces chicken, skinless (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in large bowl.
- Rub seasonings over chicken and marinate in refrigerator for 6 hours or longer.
- Space chicken evenly on nonstick or lightly greased baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30-40 minutes or until the meat can easily be pulled away from the bone with a fork.
Nutritional information – per serving
- 113 calories
- 3 g total fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 49 mg cholesterol
- 161 mg sodium
- 1 g total fiber
- 16 g protein
- 6 g carbohydrates
- 192 mg potassium
Serves 10 (serving size: ½ breast or 2 small drumsticks)