Finding tasty dinner options that are also healthy can be challenging. Next time you’re in need of something new at your table, try this fun and festive option.
Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
Ingredients – Salsa
- 4 medium tomatoes, rinsed and diced (about 2 C)
- ½ C red onion, diced
- 1 medium jalapeno chili pepper, rinsed and split lengthwise – remove seeds and white membrane, and mince (about 2 Tbsp); for less spice, use a green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (or about 4 limes)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 2 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Ingredients – Quesadillas
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili sauce
- 2 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded (about ½ C)
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature, with the rack 3 inches from heat source.
- For salsa, combine all ingredients and toss well. Chill in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes (Salsa can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated).
- Cut chicken into thin strips, and place them on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil for 8–10 minutes.
- To assemble the quesadillas, place four whole-wheat tortillas on the countertop or table. Top each with one-quarter of the sliced cooked chicken, salt, chili sauce, cheese and pine nuts (optional).
- Fold tortillas in half to close, and carefully transfer each to a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Bake quesadillas at 350o F for 5–10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve one quesadilla with ½ cup salsa on the side.
Numbers to Know
- Prep time – 30 minutes
- Cook time – 10 minutes
- Serving size (serves 4) – 1 quesadilla, ½ C salsa
- Calories – 339
- Total fat – 11 g
- Saturated fat – 3 g
- Cholesterol – 62 mg
- Sodium – 453 mg
- Total fiber – 4 g
- Protein – 26 g
- Carbohydrates – 32 g
- Potassium – 454 mg