This quick and easy heart-healthy recipe will warm your family on a cold day, and provide a nutritious meal while keeping all the flavor.
This recipe was featured on Facebook LIVE, as demonstrated by Mission Heart and Asheville Cardiology Associates Registered Dietitians Megan Greathouse and Jane Stokla Ryan. Click here to watch the instructional video.
Crockpot Vegetarian Chili recipe
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 28 ounces can fired-roasted diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- One 15.5 ounce black beans (low sodium)
- One 15.5 ounce kidney beans (low sodium)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled & cut into 2 inch pieces)
- Pepper to taste
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, frozen corn, garlic, cumin, chili powder, cocoa, cinnamon and pepper. Add the tomatoes (and liquid), cumin, beans (drained), sweet potatoes and one cup of water.
- Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender and chili has thickened on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours
- Serve the chili with avocado