By Marit Weikel
Mission Weight Management Center
The turning of the calendar is a great time to set a wellness goal. Check out these simple tips to help you set the right goal and stay on track all year long:
- Choose a meaningful goal. People often make resolutions that don’t accurately reflect what matters most. Often the resolution is what you think you should do, rather than what you actually want from the change. So, ask yourself a few important questions. What do you want more of in your life? Or, what do you want to offer the world? Now figure out how to get it and start defining your goal.
- Don’t try to change everything all at once. Break your goals into smaller steps. This builds self-efficacy – if you believe you can you will. Instead of a big goal of losing 20 pounds, set smaller ones to move you closer to the ultimate result. Think: “I’m going to walk 15 minutes a day” or “I’ll replace one meal with a healthy shake.” Then just keep going.
- Don’t go it alone. Find a buddy or friend to take this journey with you. Even if it is via the phone or internet. You don’t have to have the same goal to boost each other’s confidence and become the support you need.
- Change is not always easy, so pair it with something you enjoy to keep the motivation going. Listen to audio books or podcasts while walking. Add your favorite fruit to your breakfast shake. Buy new workout clothes or a swimsuit to wear to the gym.
- Set up your environment to be conducive to the changes you are making. If it’s there, you will eat it. Knowing this, stock up on the fruits, vegetables and healthy foods you want to eat. Clean out the cupboards of the rest. You can always give it your neighbors, friends or a food pantry.
The most important thing is to have a plan, be committed and to stick to it. If the goals don’t work, don’t be afraid to change it up. You’ve got this!
Marit Weikel is a behavioral weight specialist at Mission Weight Management.