Fall brings bold colors and fun to western North Carolina, and Mission Health brings you a series of fall-friendly recipes. This week, Autumn Casserole.
- 2½ cups winter squash (acorn, butternut or hubbard)
- 1½ cups cooking apples (Macintosh, Granny Smith or Rome)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash and prepare squash and apples (for extra fiber, keep apple peels on)
- Alternate layers of squash and apples in 8×8 inch pan, last layer should be apples
- Sprinkle spices over top layer
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes until squash is tender
*For added protein, include meat of choice in layers or add unflavored protein powder.
**For added crunch, sprinkle walnuts on top before baking.
1 serving = 1/2 cup
Nutritional information per serving: 40 calories: 40; carbohydrates: 9g; protein: 1g