This year’s series, “Sports Medicine 101: Chalk Talk,” will focus on NCHSAA medical concepts.
Participants will have the opportunity to review concussion management principles, review emergency action planning, and learn about sudden cardiac arrest in athletes. This series meets the NCHSAA requirements for concussion and sudden cardiac arrest education.
Mission Sports Medicine continues our commitment to educating athletic staff and administrators through our annual education and training symposium. Designed to meet the NCHSAA’s mandatory coaching requirements, the symposium will also address specific areas to improve quality outcomes in our student- athletes.
AB Tech Event Center
- Concussion trends and return to play
- Emergency Action Plan (EAP) best practices for medical emergencies on the field
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest: What you need to know to be prepared
- LAIR (Live Action Interactive Role-playing) in collaboration with EMS, Team Physicians, and your Athletic Trainer to practice EAP activation
- Compression Only CPR will be available (non certificate) CPR Certification can be scheduled by contacting Heidi Pieper (Heidi.email@example.com; 828-273-0294).
- Friday, June 10, 2016
- 8:30 a.m. Registration
- 9-9:20 a.m. Concussion Management and Return to Play – Matthew Smitley, MS, LAT, ATC, ITAT, SFMA
- 9:20-9:40 a.m. Sudden Cardiac Arrest: What to be Aware of – Josh Owen, MHS, LAT, ATC, ITAT, PRT
- 9:40-10:00 a.m. Emergency Action Planning: Be Prepared – Michael Hodges, MAed, LAT, ATC, ITAT
- 10:00-10:10 a.m. BREAK
- 10:10-11:10 a.m. Skill Practice: Compression Only CPR, Spine Boarding, Manual Inline Stabilization, and Fracture Stabilization – Mission Sports Medicine Team
- 11:10 a.m.-11:20 a.m. BREAK
- 11:20-12:00 pm LAIR
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch