Planning a fiesta for Cinco de Mayo? Need a couple of festive and tasty sides to accompany your tacos or carnitas? Mission Health has you covered with these fun and easy recipes for Corn & Avocado Salad and Pineapple Salsa. Enjoy!
Corn & Avocado Salad:
- 3 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 avocados—peeled, pitted, & cubed
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the corn in a large pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook until kernels are tender but crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain, and cool in cold water. Use a knife to scrape kernels from the cobs.
- Place kernels in a medium bowl. Stir in avocados, red onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Add cumin, red pepper flakes, and cilantro. Mix in vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice. Season with salt & pepper.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped red and/or green bell pepper
- ½ cup sweet onion slivers
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or more to taste)
- Blend pineapple, bell pepper, onion, lemon juice, cilantro and jalapeno pepper in medium bowl
- Refrigerate, covered for 4 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with grilled chicken or seafood or as an appetizer with chips