By Elizabeth Holmes
Registered Dietician and Clinical Nutritionist Educator, Mission Weight Management
Because March is National Nutrition Month, Mission Health is bringing you a new healthy and delicious recipe each week. This week’s tasty dinner that you can feel good about is Eggplant and Tomato Gratin.
Ingredients – Makes Eight Servings
- 1 pound eggplant, cut diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices
- Cooking spray
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, mince
- 6 plum tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- ½ medium onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat slices with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 375 for 16 minutes, turning after 8 minutes
- Combine salt, Parmesan cheese, oregano, pepper, and garlic in a bowl
- Arrange half of the cooked eggplant slices in an 8-inch square baking dish
- Arrange half of the tomato slices over eggplant slices
- Top with half of zucchini slices and onions
- Sprinkle with half of cheese mixture
- Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant slices, tomato slices, zucchini slices, onion, and cheese mixture.
- Cover and back at 375 for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and cheese is golden brown
Nutritional Information (per Serving)
87 Calories, 2.8g Fat, 11.2g Carbs, 4g Fiber, 5.5g Protein, 257mg Sodium
Click here for more recipes from the Mission Health Blog.