By Elizabeth Holmes
Registered Dietician and Clinical Nutritionist Educator, Mission Weight Management
Because March is National Nutrition Month, Mission Health is bringing you a new healthy and delicious recipe each week. To kick-start this series of tasty dinners that you can feel good about, we begin with Turkey Meatloaf.
Ingredients – Makes Six Servings
- 7 slices turkey bacon, or more to taste
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar (Could substitute non-caloric brown sugar such as Splenda brown sugar blend)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bake the turkey bacon on a baking sheet for 8 min or until browned and crisp; crumble when cool.
- Mix cooked bacon with ground turkey, Cheddar cheese, egg, onion, green pepper, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper
- Place the turkey meatloaf mixture into a 9×5 meat loaf pan.
- Mix ketchup, yellow mustard, and brown sugar together in a bowl, stirring to dissolve brown sugar. Spread the mixture over the turkey loaf.
- Bake the turkey loaf in the preheated oven until the juices run clear, loaf is no longer pink in the middle, and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the loaf reads at least 160 degrees F, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Nutritional Information (per Serving)
225 Calories, 9g Fat, 9g Carbohydrate, 27g protein, 500mg Sodium