- This event has passed.
Dementia Workshop Series – Franklin
April 10 @ 2 pm - 3:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 2pm on Tuesday, happening 4 times
An event every week that begins at 7pm on Tuesday, happening 4 times
A campaign to tackle the stigma and lack of understanding around dementia is underway in Macon County with the support of area churches, the Southwestern Commission Area Agency on Aging, Macon County Public Library, Angel Medical Center, Macon County Senior Services and Macon County DSS.
Hickory Knoll United Methodist Church has partnered with a growing list of area churches throughout Macon County to host a workshop series called “Dementia Friends North Carolina.” Designed to help build awareness about dementia and identify ways local citizens can help people who are living with it in our community, the four-session workshop series is being made possible through a Missional Engagement Team Grant of the Smoky Mountain District of The United Methodist Church.
The 90-minute sessions will take place on four consecutive Tuesdays, beginning March 20.
- Both afternoon and evening sessions are offered.
- All 2 pm sessions will be offered at Macon County Senior Services in the John & Dorothy Crawford Senior Center.
- All 7 pm sessions will be offered at the Macon County Public Library. All workshops are free and open to the public.
- March 20: Dementia 101 – Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask
- March 27: Dementia Friends – How to support those in our congregations and community
- April 3: Legal Considerations – An elder law attorney will explain key legal decisions that families of persons with memory illness may face
- April 10: There Is Help – Services and supports for families and caregivers of persons with memory illness
Dementia Friends North Carolina is provided by the NC Association of Area Agencies on Aging (NC4A). For more details contact Rev. Stephanie Thompson, Pastor, Hickory Knoll United Methodist Church at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cindy Miles at email@example.com.