Community

December 7, 2017

Community Spotlight – Helpmate Provides Services to Victims of Intimate Partner Violence

By Samantha Kappalman More than 30 percent of Americans are acquainted with a woman who has suffered violence from her male partner. In fact, one of every three women and one of every four men are the victims of intimate-partner violence. The Buncombe County Family Justice Center was created so victims of domestic violence can […]

read more

December 6, 2017

Mission Health Back In Network Effective December 15

Dear Patients and Family Members, As you may know from the joint statement, Mission Health and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross) have reached a new agreement. As a result, Mission Health providers are back in network with Blue Cross December 15th. We reached this agreement with the mutual goal of […]

read more

December 4, 2017

Karen Gorby Provides Education on Stroke and Salutes Family Caregivers

By Karen Gorby President and CNO, Angel Medical Center As we begin the holiday season – a time for family, gratitude and celebration – I want to thank you for allowing Angel Medical Center to care for you and your families. I also join in the gratitude our community shares with me for our exceptional […]

read more

November 29, 2017

Jackie Medland: We’re Thankful for Our Community Healthcare Providers

By Jackie Medland President/CNO, Highlands-Cashiers Hospital The feedback from our first round of Town Halls made it clear that while community members viewed our physician and provider team as one of our greatest assets, they were also concerned about turnover, which may lead to worry about provider shortages – a nation-wide problem for rural communities. […]

read more

November 28, 2017

Standing with the Parkers – How Mission Helped an Arden Family Get the Care They Needed

When 14-month-old Fields Parker took a hard fall and appeared to have a broken arm, his father, Tyler, went into action. Understandably concerned for his son’s well-being, Tyler rushed him to the emergency department at Mission Hospital. Sure enough, the physicians in the ER informed Tyler and his wife, Shannon, that young Fields had broken […]

read more

November 27, 2017

Carol Wolfenbarger: McDowell Hospital’s Affiliation with Mission Health is Key Strength to Sustaining Healthcare in Our Community

By Carol Wolfenbarger President, McDowell Hospital As we end the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I want to extend our thanks, on behalf of McDowell Hospital and its caregivers, for supporting us in all the ways that you do. Whether investing your trust in us and the care we provide, volunteering in some capacity at the hospital, or […]

read more

November 22, 2017

Triumph over Tragedy – The Inspiring Journey of Ms. Wheelchair USA

By Madeline Delp Ms. Wheelchair USA As anyone who has had to take an unconscious ride in an ambulance well knows, life can change in an instant. I saw the truth of this principle in my own life at the age of ten years old after my mom and I had been in a horrific […]

read more

November 9, 2017

Honoring Those Who Served – The Story behind the Veterans’ Tribute at Mission Hospital

By Karen Vernon For about a dozen years, Burchie and Barb Thompson have been quietly tending Mission Health’s own version of an eternal flame. Visitors to the lobby of Mission Hospital’s Memorial Campus may have noticed a large display in the alcove across from the reception desk dedicated to honoring military veterans. Barb, an HR […]

read more

November 8, 2017

What Makes Asheville a “Top 15” City? The Answers Are Seemingly Endless

By Jenee’ G. Davis Talent Acquisition Consultant, Mission Health Our hometown of Asheville was recently ranked among “The Top 15 Cities in the United States” by Travel + Leisure, which got me thinking again about just how fortunate we are to live here in western North Carolina. It’s no surprise to those of us who […]

read more

November 8, 2017

Partnering to Empower Patients – Mission Health Partners’ Unique Care Coordination Approach

By Calvin Tomkins, MD, MHA Assistant Medical Director, Mission Health Partners Obstacles. We all face them en route to achieving our goals. But for those with obstacles standing in the way of their most basic needs, it’s important to know that help is available. One particularly tough obstacle to overcome is food insecurity. Food insecurity […]

read more