By Carol Wolfenbarger
President, McDowell Hospital
Excitement is building at Mission Hospital McDowell as we prepare to open our brand new facility! As we approach this extraordinary milestone, I want to share important information about key hospital service locations, changes in traffic flow and parking layout, and wayfinding within the new facility.
- When the new facility soon opens, the new Emergency Department (ED) will be located on the other side of the new facility. Until demolition of the current facility and construction of the flat parking area is completed (anticipated by July 2018), there will be no immediate parking available on the ED side. Parking for the ED will continue to be located along the left-hand drive and will be marked with signs.
- To access the Emergency Department, please use the sidewalks in front of the new facility and enter the Emergency Entrance (Entrance 1). Additionally, a temporary drop-off point for the ED will be located in the Ambulance Entrance, accessed by taking the right-hand drive.
- There are four entrances to the new hospital:
- Entrance 1 – ED: The Emergency Department entrance will be accessible by the sidewalk in between the old and new facilities, or from the ambulance drop-off area;
- Entrance 2 – Main: The Main Entrance will be for patients accessing outpatient services such as imaging (x-ray), lab, infusion, and cardiopulmonary services. Patient registration is prominently located at this entrance for your convenience.
- Entrance 3 – Clinics: This entrance, known as Mission Health Center-McDowell, will be for our Clinics and for patients having surgical procedures. Clinics opening in the new Mission Health Center-McDowell are Mission Women’s Care, Mission Surgery, Mission Urology, and Cancer Care of Western North Carolina (Tuesdays only).
- Entrance 4 – MyCare Now: Mission MyCare Now Walk-In Clinic (formerly Health Plus) will be opening in the new facility with a dedicated entrance. Mission MyCare Now will see patients from 7AM until 10PM.
- Immediately upon moving to the new facility, we will begin our last phase of traffic flow modifications required to complete the demolition of the current facility and construct the parking area. Parking continues to be available in the back parking lot for all patients and visitors, and along the left-hand drive for the Emergency Department and Mission MyCare Now patients. Shuttle Services will continue to provide assistance in getting you to your destination.
- To assist our community, we will have staff and volunteers stationed outside to help direct patients and visitors. Be on the lookout for changes to our wayfinding signage as well.
We can’t wait to unveil the new Mission Hospital McDowell and the thoughtful design that will more fully accommodate patients by providing even more convenience and comfort.
We know that we will learn a lot during the first two months of opening, and your input will be invaluable during this period. Thank you in advance for your patience as we make this significant – and positive – transition.