By Michele Pilon
President/CNO, Transylvania Regional Hospital
As we move into 2018, it’s an ideal time to inform our community about Transylvania Regional Hospital’s (TRH) many services and programs. TRH is an award-winning, full-service Critical Access Hospital, and this means that community members can access virtually any kind of basic specialty service, in addition to primary care and emergency services. This month, I’d like to spotlight our specialty services:
- Outpatient Adult Behavioral Health (Fresh Start): Group services and psychiatric medication management for adults and seniors with a diagnosed mental health condition.
- Cardiopulmonary: Treatment for cardiovascular disease, heart rhythm disorders and other chronic heart ailments. Stress testing and cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation are also provided.
- Diabetes Care and Education: Inpatient and outpatient education provided by multidisciplinary team enables patients to control their blood glucose; program is certified by the American Diabetes Association.
- Endoscopy: Camera-assisted procedures include diagnostic and screening colonoscopy, upper GI endoscopy, bronchoscopy (lungs) and more.
- Imaging: Diverse imaging tests, including CT and MRI scans, ultrasounds, digital mammography and DEXA bone scans.
- Outpatient Infusion Therapy: Chemotherapy drugs and other intravenous medications for hematological health issues (blood disorders).
- Obstetrics/Gynecology: A wide range of services for every phase of a woman’s life, from PAP tests and routine prenatal care to hormone replacement therapy and menopausal symptom treatment. Surgical procedures are also offered.
- Orthopedics: Sports injury and orthopedic treatment, including joint replacement.
- Pain Management: Extensive chronic pain treatment, including psychological counseling services related to chronic pain.
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy: Services for those recovering from stroke, heart attack and other conditions.
- Sleep Lab: Treatment for sleep apnea, insomnia and other sleep-related health issues.
- Surgery: Multidisciplinary surgical team treats patients of all ages providing ear, nose and throat surgery, orthopedic surgery, urologic procedures, women’s gynecological surgery, ophthalmological (eye) surgery and gastroenterological surgery. Many same-day surgical procedures are provided.
- Transitional Care Unit: A 5-star skilled nursing facility offers physical, occupational and speech therapy during short stays.
- Urology/Urogynecology: Treatment for incontinence, kidney disease, male infertility problems and UTIs; also sexual health education and counseling, and more.
- Wound Care: Care by certified wound nurses and ostomy services.
Never has such a comprehensive array of specialty services been available to area residents. For information on how to contact our specialty services offices, please visit mission-health.org/transylvania-regional-hospital-service-areas.php. All are staffed with board-certified specialists and all are accepting new patients.
Before I close, I want to thank everyone for their patience during our ongoing construction projects. I understand that the construction has created some confusion regarding signage and hospital access. In the end though, we will be better able to provide you with state-of-the-art care in a more comfortable environment.
Effective immediately, you can now access Patient Registration through the former emergency department entrance – between the old and new ambulance entrances. This entrance provides quick access to Patient Registration without requiring a lot of walking through the hospital’s halls. You can continue to park in TRH’s front lot and follow the signage to the entrance.
Once again, I appreciate your patience and support as we make Transylvania Regional Hospital even better.
Michele Pilon, MS, BSN, RN, NE-BC, is the President and CNO of Transylvania Regional Hospital. Her diverse professional experience includes service as a bedside nurse and over a decade as a leader at healthcare institutions in Virginia, Florida and North Carolina. Pilon earned a Bachelor’s in Nursing from Ohio’s University of Akron and a Master’s in Health Services Administration from the University of St. Francis in Illinois; she is also a board-certified Nursing Executive.