Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor. Try this tasty dish out with your friends and family this holiday season, and “Seasonings Greetings” to you and yours!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- ¹/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- Heat Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add 1 tsp oil and onion, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cubed squash and apple; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme, salt and cracked pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add water, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes until squash is very tender.
- Add water as needed.
- Blend with immersion blender or in a full size blender, working in batches until completely pureed.
- Stir in vinegar and red pepper.
Nutritional information per serving:
- 80 calories
- 5 g total fat
- 4 sodium
- 6 g carbohydrates
- 9 g dietary fiber
- 1 g protein
Recipes by Mary Lindsey Jackson, RD, LDN, Clinical Nutritionist Educator for Mission Weight Management.