As of October 5, 2017, Mission Health physicians and hospitals are no longer in the Blue Cross NC provider network. But Mission is here to provide the care you need, no matter what. We want you to keep your doctor and continue choosing Mission Health for the high-quality care you have come to expect from us for more than 130 years. Mission stands with you. No matter what.
Here are six things you need to know about our out-of-network status:
- Background – Background details regarding this situation and other relevant concerns related to patient care can be found here .
- Emergency Care – Emergency care and subsequent admission (if necessary) are always covered as an in-network benefit.
- Continuity of Care – Patients with ongoing special conditions, including acute illness, chronic illness, pregnancy or a terminal illness insured by Blue Cross may continue receiving care from an out-of-network provider through Continuity of Care by completing this Continuity of Care (COC) form  by a deadline of November 19, 2017. An approved Continuity of Care form is required for those with ongoing medical conditions (e.g., second or third trimester of pregnancy, active cancer care, chronic conditions, etc.) to continue to receive in-network benefits. Click to learn more about who may qualify and how to apply.  Blue Cross Federal patients have until December 9, 2017, to fill out the COC form. Forms must be filled out and Blue Cross must approve the Continuity of Care request before an appointment or service.
- Assistance – Help completing COC forms is available by calling (828) 412-6052, option 2, Monday-Friday, 8 am-8 pm, or by meeting with counselors at Mission Health Cancer Center, room 115, Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm.
- Undue Delay/Reasonable Access – Certain services for which Mission is the region’s only provider will still be considered in network for many Blue Cross patients. Mission counselors can help you request in-network approval for this care for which travel elsewhere would create an undue delay or excessive burden to you. Examples include, but are not limited to, specialty services not otherwise available in the region (e.g., cardiac surgery, pediatric subspecialties, neurosurgery, etc.) and any services for which there may not be capacity in the region due to limited specialty availability (e.g., cardiology, pulmonary, etc.).
- Discounts & Payment Plans – Discounts and/or payment plans are being arranged for those who qualify while incurring out-of-network expenses. Patients can call (828) 412-6052, option 1, to learn specifics about how they may benefit from these programs.
Regardless of our contract status with Blue Cross, you can always choose Mission Health, our providers and facilities for your care. Your individual health plan coverage and benefits will vary.
Mission stands with you. No matter what.