Mission Health registered dietitians Elizabeth Holmes and Mary Lindsey Jackson offer these three tasty and tasty recipes. These recipes were featured during our recent Facebook Live event, “Delicious and Nutritious Cooking for Weight Loss.”
Follow these so you can cook healthier without losing flavor.
— Buffalo Chicken Pizza —
- 4 oz Precooked chicken
- ½ Tbs Buffalo wing sauce
- 1 Low-carb whole grain wrap
- 1 Tbs Yogurt-based blue cheese salad dressing
- 1 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Either purchase precooked chicken in the can, as a rotisserie or boil chicken in low-sodium chicken broth and water until fully cooked and able to shred.
- Mix buffalo wing sauce and chicken.
- Place wrap on a baking sheet (one designed for pizzas works best) or pizza stone.
- Spread blue cheese salad dressing over entire wrap.
- Spread buffalo chicken evenly over the wrap.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and other topping if desired.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Nutritional information per serving (serves 1)
- 320 Calories
- 30 g Protein
- 19 g Carbs
- 14 g Total fat
- 776 mg Sodium
— Meal in a Jar —
Ingredients (makes 1 salad)
- 1 to 4 tbs light salad dressing or sauce
- 2-3 oz lean protein (chicken, turkey, tuna, low fat cheese, etc.)
- Raw vegetables
- Fresh fruits
- Nuts (optional)
- Whole grains, beans, or other healthy starch (optional)
- Salad greens
- Wide-mouth pint jar
- Large bowl, to serve
- Salad dressing: Pour 1 to 4 tbs of your favorite salad dressing or sauce in the bottom of the jar.
- Hard vegetables: Next, add any hard-chopped vegetables you’re including in your salad, like carrots, cucumbers, red and green peppers, cooked beets and fennel.
- Beans, grains and pasta (optional): Next, add any healthy starches such as beans, grains and/or pasta, like chickpeas, black beans, cooked barley, cooked rice and whole grain pasta corkscrews.
- Cheese and proteins: Add a layer of diced or crumbled cheese and proteins like tuna fish, diced (cooked) chicken, hard-boiled eggs or cubed tofu.
- Softer vegetables and fruits: Next, add any soft vegetables or fruits, like tomatoes, diced strawberries or dried fruit.
- Nuts or seeds: Next, add any nuts or seeds, like almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds. Limit to 1 tbs.
- Salad greens: Last but not least, fill the rest of the jar with salad greens. Feel free to pack them into the jar fairly compactly.
- Storing the salad: Screw the lid on the jar and refrigerate for up to 5 days. If you’re including any cheese, proteins, avocado or soft fruits and vegetables, add these to the top of the jar the morning you plan to eat your salad.
- Tossing and eating the salad: When ready to eat, unscrew the lid and shake the salad into the bowl. The action of shaking the salad into the bowl is usually enough to mix the salad with the dressing. If not, toss gently with a fork until coated.
*Nutritional information will vary depending on ingredients used.
— Breakfast Frittata —
- Olive oil or nonstick spray
- ½ onion, diced (could substitute sliced green onions)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup reduced fat feta, crumbled
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup lowfat milk
- 2 tbs chopped fresh basil (optional, could substitute fresh dill or parsley as well)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium heat and lightly coat/mist with oil.
- Whisk eggs together in a large bowl. Add cheese, reduced fat milk and salt/pepper, and mix.
- Add onions to pan and saute until translucent, adding a small amount of water if needed to keep from sticking.
- Add garlic and herbs and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove pan from heat, and pour egg mixture over ingredients.
- Bake in the oven until set, about 10-15 minutes.
- Broil at the end to have a toasted top.
- Serve with fresh fruit or whole wheat toast.
Nutritional information per serving (serves 4)
- 148.9 Calories
- 3.2 g Carbohydrate
- 13.1 g Protein
- 9.2 g Total fat
- 301.9 Sodium
- Sage + turkey + cooked sweet potato cubes + onion
- Tomatoes + bell peppers + onions + cilantro
- Lean turkey sausage + low-fat cheddar cheese + thyme
- Chicken + parsley + mozzarella + tomatoes