There are several simple steps you can take to protect you and your family from household poisons. Follow these tips from the Safe Kids WNC team at Mission Children’s Hospital.
Keep Cleaners and Other Toxic Products Out of Reach
- Store all household products out of children’s sight and reach. Young kids are often eye-level with items under the kitchen and bathroom sinks.
Check Your Purse for Potential Hazards
- Be aware of any medications or makeup that may be in your handbag. Store handbags out of reach of young children.
Keep Medicines Up and Away
- Make sure that all medications, including vitamins, are stored out of reach and out of sight or children.
- Always put medicines and vitamins away after every use.
Install a Carbon Monoxide Alarm and Identify Signs of Poisoning
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas, and keep them at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
Have Poison Control on Speed Dial
- Program the toll-free number for the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) into your home and cell phone, and post it near your phone or on your refrigerator for the babysitter.
- If you suspect your child has been poisoned, call poison control. If your child has collapsed or is not breathing, call 911.
Reviewed by Beverly Hopps, Health Educator, Safe Kids WNC, Mission Children’s Hospital.