By Erin Young
You may be eating a balanced diet. But some foods are packed with more heart healthy nutrients than others.
Check out five of the best foods for powering your heart!
- Brown Rice
- Freezes Well, gluten-free, stuff in veggies and bake
- Powerful antioxidants
- Contains special compounds called lignans, which help fight heart disease
- High in fiber, easy to digest
- Eat raw for more vitamins
- Try in a smoothie
- Wash thoroughly
- High in iron which helps lower cholesterol
- Lowers your cholesterol levels
- High in fiber
- A medium-sized pear supplies 212 milligrams of potassium which helps your heart beat normally
- High levels of antioxidants and phytochemicals to reduce your risk of heart disease
- No saturated fat or cholesterol
- Excellent source of vitamin C
- Fatty Fish
- Salmon, lake trout, herring, sardines and tuna contain the most omega-3 fatty acids
- Supports inflammation reduction throughout the body, which prevents blood vessel damage
- Consume at least 2-3 portions a week
Remember, its total body awareness that truly helps to prevent the risk of heart disease.
Keep your body moving, get at least 8 hours of sleep and schedule annual checkups.