The Safe Kids WNC team at Mission Children’s Hospital put together some helpful tips to keep costumes both creative and safe — check them out!
- Choose light colors for your costume if possible.
- Make sure costumes are the right size to prevent trips and falls.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape and stickers.
- Choose face paint and makeup instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- Drive extra safely in residential neighborhoods – popular trick or treating hours are 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
- Watch for kids at intersections, medians and on curbs.