At the beginning of World War II, in 1941, Asheville had five general hospitals: Mission, St. Joseph’s, Biltmore, Aston Park and Norburn. When physicians returned from the war, they were concerned about the number of hospitals in the city and the state of post-war health care.
In 1947, the Asheville Hospital Association formally proposed a hospital merger in order to combine their assets to better serve the people of Asheville. With federal funds and major fundraising, in 1951, ground was broken for Memorial Mission Hospital, named to honor veterans of all wars.
When the hospital was built, the names of 1,358 veterans were engraved on a marble wall in a memorial garden. Today, the wall is displayed at Memorial Park, located beside McCormick Field. A shrine to the region’s veterans hangs in Mission Hospital’s main lobby. Each year, eight different veterans are highlighted.
This Memorial Day, Mission Health salutes those who made the ultimate sacrifice.