By Elizabeth Holmes
Registered Dietician and Clinical Nutritionist Educator, Mission Weight Management
Because March is National Nutrition Month, Mission Health is bringing you a new healthy and delicious recipe each week. This week’s tasty dinner that you can feel good about is Turkey and Black Bean Chili.
Ingredients – Makes Seven Servings
- 1 pound ground white turkey meat or use left-over roasted turkey
- 2 (15 oz) cans no-added-salt black beans, un-drained
- 1 cup medium or hot chunky salsa
- 2 (8oz) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning mix
- Low-fat sour cream (optional) or plain Greek yogurt
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Cook Turkey meat in large sauce pan over medium-high heat until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles.
- If using left-over turkey meat, re-heat in a sauce pan or the microwave
- While the meat cooks, drain and mash 1 can of beans. Add mashed beans, un-drained beans, salsa, tomato sauce, and seasoning mix to saucepan; stir well.
- Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated
- Place into serving bowls and top with sour cream and shredded cheese (optional)
Nutritional Information (per Serving)
236 Calories, 3.9g Fat, 22.8g Protein, 27.6 Carbohydrates, 229 mg Sodium
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat